Wheeling University understands the importance of Commencement for our graduates, their families and friends and are moving forward planning in-person ceremonies to take place (rain or shine) at Bishop Schmitt Field for the Class of 2021. We are also excited to welcome back our December 2020 graduates and we hope they will return to campus to celebrate their achievements!
2021 Graduates must complete an “application to graduate” through the Office of the Registrar.
Register to Participate in Commencement and Baccalaureate
Baccalaureate Mass will take place April 30 at 6:00 p.m. and Commencement on May 1 at 11:30 a.m. with COVID restrictions in effect. Masks and social distancing will be required. Due to health and safety protocols, each graduate will be limited to 6 guest passes for field seating. Additional seating will be available in the grandstands on a first come first serve basis. We will follow the guidance of our medical advisers as it relates to COVID and will adjust plans as necessary.
All graduates (December 2020 and May 2021) will be required to register for participation in the Commencement and Baccalaureate celebrations. To prepare for these very special events, please take a moment to complete a short questionnaire to indicate your participation and to register if you plan to participate. The questionnaire must be completed no later than Friday, April 23.
Caps and gowns are required to participate in Commencement and gowns are required to participate in Baccalaureate Mass. Please note, the deadline to place a cap and gown order has passed. If you did not place an order, please email your name, height and weight to email@example.com for assistance.
All questions related to these events can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please check back frequently for any updates. We look forward to celebrating this milestone achievement with you!
Important Information for Participants
Students Participating in Commencement Events
Graduates, administrators, faculty, staff, and guests will all be socially distanced at all times during Commencement events. Processions in and out of events will also be socially distanced. Masks will be required for all in attendance, including those participating and working the events. Please see the seating chart for Commencement. Each graduate will be limited to 6 guest passes for field seating. Additional seating will be available in the grandstands.
Wednesday, April 28
Cap & Gown Pickup
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Erickson Alumni Center
- Students will be asked to complete two name cards that include the phonetic spelling of their name
- Cords & hoods will be included in the cap & gown packages
Friday, April 30
Baccalaureate Mass (Begins at 6:00 p.m.)
- Arrive by 5:30 p.m.
- Graduates will wear gowns & honor cords – NO CAPS, NO HOODS
- Graduates line up in the Alma Grace McDonough Center in random order, socially distanced six feet apart
Saturday, May 1
Photography Session (9:45 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.)
- Prestige will be set up at the Alma Grace McDonough Center to take individual photos of graduates
- No appointment needed – Photos will be taken at no charge and will be viewable online for ordering
Commencement (Begins at 11:30 a.m.)
- Arrive by 10:30 a.m.
- Graduating students will check-in and line up in the gymnasium of the Alma Grace McDonough Center
- Remember to bring cap, gown, hood, and any cords and/or other awards
- All persons attending commencement ceremonies, besides the graduating student, will need to proceed to the Bishop Schmitt Field to be directed to your reserved seating section
- Gates will open at 10:00 a.m. and masks will be provided at gates along with infrared thermal temperature screening
- At 11:25 a.m., no one will be permitted to enter the field until after the procession has finished
- NO CELL PHONES!!!!
- Graduates need to give phones, purses, cameras, etc. to parents or other family members – these items cannot be carried during the procession for Baccalaureate or Commencement
- Security will be directing parking after 4:00 p.m. on Friday through Saturday morning
- Parking will be difficult on Saturday morning. Please tell family and friends to arrive early to allow sufficient time to park and enter Bishop Schmitt Field.
- Seating for guests with disabilities will be available. Please notify the President’s Office prior to arrival so that arrangements may be made by calling 304-243-2233
- LIVE STREAMING will be available to watch by going to https://mountaineast.tv/wheeling/