Health & Mental Health Assistance Remain Available to Students
Health and Mental Health Assistance Remain Available to Wheeling University Students
Ensuring the holistic health and wellness of its students remains a priority at Wheeling University. Professionals at the Counseling Center and the Health Center are available to provide services to students. In addition, Fr. Hadi Sasmita, S.J., from Campus Ministry, is available to talk with students. The goal remains to support our students physically, mentally and spiritually.
While social distancing prohibits students from physically visiting the Centers, services are still available through a variety of means.
Mental Health Services
The Wheeling University Counseling Center understands that students may be facing increased stress and anxiety, as well as grief and loss, due to the pandemic. The Center remains available with some adjustments to its normal operations, such as telehealth services. To learn more about services available or to schedule a distance counseling session, contact Tina Tordella, Director of Counseling Services at email@example.com or 304-243-2081.
Telehealth Counseling – Students can arrange telehealth for distance counseling or referral support. The telehealth platform is HIPAA compliant and protects the student’s privacy.
Phone Check-ins – The Counselor is available to talk one-on-one with students.
Email – Students can email the Counselor questions or concerns. Additionally, students have received emails from the Counselor about the availability of the Counseling Center services.
Additional resources available
- WU Counseling Center Resource Page – https://www.wju.edu/counseling-center/resources.html
- Managing Stress and Anxiety – gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html
- Coping with Stress – int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/coping-with-stress.pdf?sfvrsn=9845bc3a_8
- Coronavirus Anxiety: Coping – org/articles/anxiety/coronavirus-anxiety.htm
- JED Foundation Mental Health Resource Center – org/mental-health-resource-center
- Online Support for those in or seeking Recovery: com/home/covid-19-resourcesaa-intergroup.org/directory_telephone.phpna.org
- Other Online Resources: com/blog/take-a-deep-breathheadspace.com/covid-19
The Wheeling University Health Center is available to aid students with physical, emotional or physician referrals. The nurse is available to do online referrals for students, even though they are not on campus at this time. Students with questions or concerns about their health can contact Nurse Judy Bilyeu at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304-243-2225.
Additional resources available
- Wheeling Hospital’s Family Health Center — Provides primary, urgent and specialty care. Students must be referred by the nurse, who must make the initial appointment.
- WVU Reynolds Hospital BreakThru Program – Provides students with substance use disorders specialized in medical withdrawal management.
- On-site services
- COVID-19 testing referrals – Students exhibiting symptoms of the virus can contact the Health Center for the nurse to arrange a test.
- Health assessments and referrals for physical exams
Fr. Hadi is available to talk with students as well. Students also can arrange a face-to-face meeting via Google Hangout and other video chat technology. Students can contact Fr. Hadi at email@example.com or call 304-243-2635.