Thank you for making an impact in our students’ lives and for supporting WU!
All memberships run from July 1st to June 30th. Recognition of Giving Levels will be printed in the Chronicle, WU’s Alumni and Friends magazine.
membership is achieved by donating $1,000+. Members receive recognition in the Chronicle and an invitation to the Annual President’s Circle Breakfast held during Alumni Weekend in June.
|$25,000+||St. Ignatius Society|
|Under $1,000||Donahue Society|
|Planned Gifts||Troy Legacy Society|
If you have questions on where your giving level stands for the fiscal year, please contact the Advancement office at 304-242-8141.
Ways to Give
Make your check payable to Wheeling University, and in the Memo line please provide the area you wish to support.
Office of Advancement
316 Washington Ave.
Wheeling, WV 26003
Make a gift using your credit or debit card by visiting: https://secure.qgiv.com/for/wju/
Make a donation by calling Mark Jastorff in the Advancement Office at 304-243-8160.
Recurring gifts are convenient, customizable and fit any budget. Visit our online donation form or call the Advancement office at 304-243-8141, to set up your weekly, monthly, or annual gift today.
$25 per month for 12 months = $300
$10 per week for 52 weeks = $520
$84 per month for 12 months = $1,008 and President’s Circle membership
Gifts of Stock
Gifts of appreciated securities provide financial support for Wheeling University as well as tax benefits for the donor. Usually long-term appreciated securities can generate the most favorable tax benefits.
To ensure that your contribution is receipted in a timely manner, please follow the steps below notifying Wheeling University of your plans. To make this process simpler we suggest using this Sample Letter to notify both Wheeling University and your broker.
Step 1: Contact the Office of Advancement
Step 2: Provide the Following Information
Name of securities, Number of shares or approximate total of value, Name of the brokerage firm that will be handling the transfer, Gift designation (purpose)
Step 3: Provide Wheeling University account information to your broker:
WesBanco Trust & Investment Services
Participant # 2271
Agent ID 13160
FBO: Wheeling University
Please instruct your broker to add your name to the reference field
We will be in touch with you when the stock transfer has been completed.
Please note: it is our policy to sell securities as soon as they are received.
Requirements and restrictions for making an IRA charitable rollover gift:
– The donor must be 70½ or older.
– The gift must be made directly from the IRA to an eligible charitable organization.
– Gifts to all charities combined cannot exceed a total of $100,000 per taxpayer for the year.
– The gifts must be outright, and no material benefits can be received in return for the gifts. Thus a transfer for a gift annuity, charitable remainder trust, or pooled income fund is not permitted.
– Gifts cannot be made to a donor advised fund, supporting organization, or private foundation.
– The gift is not included in taxable income, and no charitable deduction is allowed.
– The gift can be made only from an IRA. Gifts from 401(k), 403(b), and 457 plans are not permitted.
An IRA rollover may be the right gift for you to make if:
– You want to make a charitable gift and your IRA constitutes the largest share of your available assets.
– You are required to take a minimum distribution from your IRA, but you do not need additional income.
– You do not itemize your deductions. In that case a personal IRA distribution followed by a donation increases your taxable income without the benefit of an offsetting deduction. An IRA charitable rollover will not be included in your taxable income, thereby affording a tax benefit even if you do not itemize other deductions.
– You live in a state where retirement plan distributions are taxable on your state income-tax return, but your state does not allow itemized charitable deductions.
– You would like to make an additional charitable gift, but it would result in a tax benefit not be deductible due to using the standard deduction or other limitations. The IRA charitable rollover is equivalent to a deduction because it is not included in taxable income.
– You have an outstanding pledge to a charity. The IRA charitable rollover can satisfy a pledge without violating rules against self-dealing.
For additional information please contact the Wheeling University Advancement Office at 800-888-2586 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Year End Giving
Learn more about Year End Giving here.