Federal Direct Stafford Loan
- Student must be accepted to a Wheeling University degree-seeking program
- Student must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Student must be at least half-time (minimum of 6 credit hours)
- Student must complete Entrance Counseling (below)
- Student must complete a Master Promissory Note (below)
- Loan is need or non-need based
- 6 month grace period
Entrance Counseling for Federal Direct Stafford Loans:
All students who wish to borrow through the Federal Stafford Loan program are required to complete Loan Entrance Counseling. This counseling session is used to assure the student borrower understands the rights, responsibilities, and obligations that are attached with these loans.
This Entrance Counseling session must be completed or the Federal Loan will not be disbursed. This process can be completed by clicking on the link below, or you may request a paper form be mailed to you by calling the Financial Aid Office at 304-243-2304.
Make sure you print a copy of the confirmation page for your records. For your convenience (if the form is completed online), the U.S. Department of Education will send WU the results of your Entrance Counseling.
Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note:
It is mandatory that all first time borrowers of the Federal Stafford Loan complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Student borrowers may complete the MPN online by clicking on the link below.
The Master Promissory Note must be completed or the Federal Loan will not be disbursed.
For your convenience (if the MPN is completed online), the U.S. Department of Education will electronically send us notification that you have completed the paperwork.
Exit Counseling for Federal Direct Stafford Loans:
Wheeling University is required to provide students who graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time status with Exit Counseling. This counseling session will allow students who have borrowed through the Federal Loan Program to review their rights, responsibilities, and obligations before their repayment period begins.
This process can be completed by clicking on the link below, or you may request a paper form be mailed to you by calling the Financial Aid Office at 304-243-2304.
Federal Direct Parent Loan of Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
The Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a loan in a parent’s name for a dependent student.
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time (minimum of 6 credit hours)
- Parent must be a credit worthy borrower
- Parent must complete the Plus Loan Application (see below)
- Parent must complete the Master Promissory Note (see below)
- Parents may borrow up to the cost of education, minus any Financial Aid
- Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed, but parent has the ability to defer payments while the student is in school
Parents who want to borrow money to help fund their student’s education may do so through the Parent PLUS Loan program. The parent borrower must complete the PLUS Loan application by clicking on the link below and downloading the form, or can complete the electronic application here. The parent borrower is also required go to the below link to complete the PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note for the money to be disbursed to the student’s account.
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan available to graduate students based on a credit check. This loan, in combination with other aid, cannot exceed educational costs as determined by Wheeling University.
- Student must have a completed FAFSA on file for the current academic year
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time in a graduate program
- Student borrower must be a U.S citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Student borrower must pass a required credit check
- Student borrower must complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Application or electronic application (below)
- Student borrower must complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (below)
In order to receive a Graduate PLUS award, you must complete both the application and promissory note procedures listed below. Wheeling University will be notified if there is a positive result from the credit check. This process can take up to 3 weeks. Upon notice of credit approval and confirmation of your electronic Graduate PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note, Wheeling University will disburse the funds to your account.
Student Private Alternative Loan
Private alternative educational loans are available from private lenders for students whose cost of attendance has not been met with other financial aid, including the Federal student loan programs. These loans are in the student’s name and most require the student to have a credit worthy co-borrower. There is a credit scoring process that is completed on the borrower and/or co-borrower.
Because alternative loans have a variety of different interest rates, loan fees, grace periods, and repayment terms it is important to research the available loans and choose the one that best fits the borrower’s needs.
To assist you in this process, WU has compiled a comparison list for different alternative loans that we think may best match our student body. You are free to choose ANY lender – whether it is on the list or not – without penalty. Wheeling University does not endorse any particular lender.
Listed below are the websites of the lending institutions where you can apply for an alternative loan:
- Private Loan Lender List
- Private Educational Loan Disclosures
- Private Education Loan Self Certification