Post-Master’s Nursing Certificate
The online Post-Master’s Certificate Program at Wheeling University provides nurses with MSN degrees an opportunity to acquire specialized skills in another area of nursing. Certificates are
offered for Family Nurse Practitioner and Nursing Administration.
Students must have an MSN degree and current licensure as a registered nurse to be eligible to
apply. All courses are fully online_ Clinical rotations are completed in the student’s local community.
The post-master’s certificate programs are offered entirely online and range from 12-26 credit hours. The courses offered in each track are as follows:
Nursing Administration Core:
|MSN 520||Nursing Administration I|
|MSN 521||Nursing Administration II|
|MSN 524||Financial Management|
|MSN 527||Organizational Behavior|
|MSN 528||Communications and Interpersonal Relations|
|MSN 540||Capstone Seminar (168 clinical hours)|
|One 3 Credit Elective|
Family Nurse Practitioner Core:
|MSN 565||Advanced Practice Nursing in Primary Care of Infant, Child and Adolescent (168 clinical hours required)|
|MSN 566||Advanced Practice Nursing in Primary Care of Reproductive Health (168 clinical hours required)|
|MSN 567||Advanced Practice Nursing in Primary Care of Adult (168 clinical hours required)|
|MSN 568||Advanced Practice Nursing in Primary Care of Aging Adult (168 clinical hours required)|
Students entering the Post-Master’s FNP certificate program must have prerequisites in advanced pharmacology, advanced physical assessment (with 56 clinical hours), and advanced pathophysiology prior to beginning clinical coursework.
* Acceptance of a prior advanced pharmacology course is evaluated on an individual basis upon entry into the certificate program. If pharmacology coursework is greater than the two year requirement for licensure in the state of West Virginia, the student will be required to repeat the advanced pharmacology course. In addition, each state has similar licensure requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of other state requirements for obtaining prescriptive authority.
Per the WV Board of Nurse Examiners, for prescriptive authority, “Proof of successful completion of at least forty-five (45) contact hours of education in pharmacology and clinical management of drug therapy under a program APPROVED BY THE BOARD, fifteen (15) of which shall be completed within the two (2) year period immediately before the date of application.”
Eligibility & Admissions Requirements
Both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in nursing are required. Students must have a GPA of 3.0 in their master’s program to be eligible for admission. Applicants can complete the admission process by:
- Completing a free application by going here. Early application is recommended.
- Requesting official transcripts for both bachelor’s and master’s degree programs from all colleges/universities attended, and having them sent electronically to email@example.com or mailed directly to: Wheeling University – GPS Admissions, 316 Washington Avenue, Wheeling, WV 26003
- Providing current licensure as a registered nurse.
- Submitting a current CV or resume.
- Submitting two letters of recommendation.
- Applying for federal student loans and grants by completing the FAFSA online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov if qualifying. School Code is #003831