Apply Visit Deposit Give


Petition for Alternative Grading: Only Spring 2020

Policy Statement:

In concern for Wheeling University students in light of the unprecedented challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic crisis, President Favede, in consultation with the Vice President for Academic Affairs, Academic programs and Faculty Leaders, have approved a temporary change to Wheeling University’s course grading policy for the Spring 2020 semester only.  Students may elect to switch a course from a grade (A, B, C, D, F) to a Highly Satisfactory/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (HS/S/U) designation.  This option will only be available after grades are posted at the end of the Spring 2020 term on May 5, 2020 until September 4, 2020. 

The following programs are EXCLUDED from this policy; courses in these programs may NOT be switched to HS/S/U grading:

Undergraduate Programs:

  • Athletic Training
  • Education
  • Nursing

All Graduate Programs

Letter Grade to HS/S/U Grade Conversion:

When deciding on this option, the following aspects of the policy must be considered:

  1. No grade points are assigned to any/all courses student elect to switch to a HS/S/US.  
  2. A maximum of 18 semester hours of Letter Grade courses may be switched to HS/S/U graded courses and may count toward graduation.
  3. Work of A, B, C level will be switched to a Highly Satisfactory (HS) grade, work at a D level will receive a Satisfactory (S) grade, and work at a F level will receive an Unsatisfactory (U) grade.
  4. The HS/S/U designation does not calculate into a student’s GPA. The credits earned only count to satisfying the credit requirements towards graduation.
  5. Once a grade is converted to a HS/S/U, it cannot return to a letter grade nor can the grade be appealed/allowed to be raised through additional coursework.
  6. Only letter grade courses will be allowed to submit an “Incomplete” (I) grade for Spring 2020.

Letter Grade to HS/S/U Grade Conversion Process: 

Students wishing to switch a course to HS/S/U grading after grades are posted for the Spring 2020 semester must complete the Petition for Alternative Grading form. (This form will be sent out by email and posted on the WU website by the Office of Academic Affairs through the Registrar.)The petition should be submitted via the Student’s Cardinal email to; the VPAA will make the final decision on all petitions.Timeline: Students may choose to submit a petition when it becomes available through their email accounts and the Office of the Registrar webpage between May 5, 2020 and Sept. 4, 2020.